The constitution of India imparts constitutional supremacy and not parliamentary supremacy as it is not created by the Parliament but created by a constituent assembly and adopted by its people with a declaration in the preamble to the constitution.
- 26th January was selected purposely because it was this day in 1930 when the Declaration of Indian Independence (Purna Swaraj) was proclaimed by the Indian National Congress.
- The first temporary 2-day president of the Constituent Assembly was Dr Sachchidananda Sinha.
- The process was completed and the Constituent assembly adopted the constitution on 26th November, 1949. 284 members signed the document.This day is considered as National Law Day or Constitution Day.
- The original Constitution of India is hand-written with beautiful calligraphy, each page beautified and decorated by artists from Shantiniketan including Beohar Rammanohar Sinha and Nandalal Bose.
- Rs.1,00,00,000 was official estimate of expenditure on constituent assembly.
- Parliament cannot override the constitution.
The original text of the Preamble and artwork of Beohar Rammanohar Sinha, before the 42nd Amendment of the Constitution
Happy Republic Day!